Staying Connected Virtually
Connection. It’s the buzz-word going around town now that we’re all forced to stay home. Check out our top tips on ways to stay connected!
Connection. It’s the buzz-word going around town now that we’re all forced to stay home. A lot of the ways we usually connect are off the cards – catching up with mates at the park, going for a coffee, or even taking a quick drive to the next town over for an event.
But there are still a lot of ways to connect in this strange time, and the great thing is that you KNOW most of these things already, it’s just time to make better use of them! Check out our list below for our top tips on ways to stay connected.
Staying connected with… accurate information
There’s a LOT of information swirling around about the current COVID-19 situation across the world, Australia and, heck, even in our own backyards. There’s also a lot of misinformation. To stay up-to-date with reliable information we recommend using*:
Coronavirus Australia App:
- The official Australian Government website for Coronavirus are providing trusted information, health advice, support streams available and updates on measures being put in place by each state.
- Download the app available on both Google Play and the Apple App Store.
- You can also join the Government’s official WhatsApp channel.
Want to stay connected with what’s happening with your classes, placements, and trainers?
- Make sure you follow us on Facebook, Instagram and add our website to your Bookmarks.
- We’ll be keeping you updated with the latest information about our operations, plus sharing some great ‘how-to’ content to keep you connected to your learning from home.
*P.s. If you’re finding you’re getting overwhelmed with all the information, it’s also ok to unplug from the news and social media stream, in fact a lot of mental health providers recommend it.
Staying connected with…friends and family
There are a lot of benefits of living in a world where technology abounds. Social media is our friend when it comes to connecting with friends and family virtually. You already know the main players, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Snapchat, TikTok, but have you got around Houseparty yet?! It’s the new way to host parties with your friends, from the comfort of your home.
Staying connected with…yourself
We’re creatures of habit and when we fall out of our normal routine, it can take a toll on our physical and mental wellbeing. So in the midst of all this connection with others and information, make sure you take some time out for yourself. Here’s some apps and resources you might find useful.
- Reachout Australia has some great resources to help you deal with tough times. Check out their article ’10 ways to take care of yourself during Coronavirus’. They also have heaps of forums where you can chat to others who might be going through similar issues.
- Headspace is meditation made simple. It’s a great place to start if you’re wondering if and how meditation can help (pssst spoiler, meditation has been shown to help people stress less, focus more and even sleep better). All you need is 5 minutes. You can try Headspace for free for 2 weeks, and if you like it, there’s a discount for students who subscribe!
- Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live. Whatever you’re going through, you don’t have to go through it alone.
- GOTAFE’s Student Success Team are here to help, if you want a more personal touch. Our Student Wellbeing and Student Experience teams can assist you with a range of issues impacting your wellbeing and ability to study, as well as building life skills and preparing for your future.
Ultimately remember that you’re not alone, and we’re all in this together. It’s ok to ask for help if you need it, whether it’s for your mental health or you’re struggling with studying at home. We’re just a phone call or quick message away.
While you're here...
We've got a whole bunch of articles for you to peruse, check them out below!
Five Reasons Why Attending Your Graduation Ceremony Matters
From celebrating your achievements to wearing the fancy gown - there are so many reasons to attend your graduation.