Your voice as a student is of the highest importance, nominations are now open for Student Council & Class Reps
At GOTAFE, your voice as a student is of the highest importance. We not only value your voice, feedback and opinions, but find it critical in informing how GOTAFE operates. After all, GOTAFE is here for our students.
The student voice refers to the range of ways in which you can engage in decisions and actions which shape your learning environment. For instance, the social, recreational, and physical aspects of your learning environment; and providing direction and feedback about ways in which both your learning and wider experiences at GOTAFE can be enhanced.
Ways to take part
There are a few ways in which you can express your student voice
The GOTAFE Student Council is made up of current students who are caring, passionate and dedicated, and are elected to represent you here at GOTAFE. They are here to support and encourage fellow students through whatever issues or concerns arise on campus, communicating with GOTAFE staff and services on behalf of students and their interests
The role of the Student Council is to:
- improve students’ lives and experiences at GOTAFE by communicating and collaborating with the management and services of GOTAFE.
- be your contact point for any support, concerns or ideas you have about student life at GOTAFE.
- meet regularly and undertake continuous professional development to equip them to be effective advocates for you.
- represent various student populations at GOTAFE and embody and reflect the GOTAFE Social Justice Charter
A Class Rep acts as a voice for students of their class and year, liaisoning between their classmates, the Student Council, and staff at GOTAFE.
They have an important role which makes a big difference to day-to-day student life. In particular, Class Reps can help with advocating for students and can give student opinion to the trainer to ensure your voice is heard. They can also raise issues and ideas with the Student Council and be your liaison with any other groups within GOTAFE.
Feedback using Loop
From time-to-time, your trainers and GOTAFE departments will seek your opinion and feedback using Loop. You will be encouraged to join Loop at enrolment and also by your trainer.
It is a quick easy way to provide feedback to your trainer or GOTAFE departments by participating in short surveys (usually no longer than 3 questions). You can even do so anonymously.
How to nominate
Nominations open on Monday 21 September and will close on Friday 30 October 2020.
Once completed, email to StudentCouncil@gotafe.vic.edu.au
The GOTAFE Board are seeking to establish a Student Council to ensure the student voice reaches the core of GOTAFE. Similarly, the Senior Leadership of GOTAFE would like to see the establishment of GOTAFE Class Reps to provide continuous input into the daily life of teaching and support. Here's how to nominate:
- To nominate yourself or a fellow student, you will need to be or intend to enrol into a course at GOTAFE for the duration of 2021.
- Nominations can be made for both a Student Council member and/or a Class Rep but you can only hold one position during your term.
- Candidates must be endorsed by another current GOTAFE student.
- Candidates must submit an application form including a blurb, with a limit of 200 words. It should state why you are running and what you want to achieve.
- Attend a Candidate Briefing & Photo session to be arranged for a date to be determined in November 2020 (Covid restrictions apply).
General information on the Student Council
The GOTAFE Board are seeking to establish a Student Council to ensure the student voice reaches the core of GOTAFE.
- The term for all of the council roles is held over a calendar year i.e. 1 January – 31 December.
- Student Council representatives are expected to contribute up to 16 hours a month for meetings and activities.
- Student Council training will be held in early February.
- Council members are required to be available in the week before each Semester begins to assist with the welcoming of new students.
- Council members will receive an honorarium payment of for their contribution payable in the last part of term 4 of the year.