Skills First Reconnect Program
A Victorian Government initiative aimed at connecting disengaged people into education and training.
The Reconnect Program is a Victorian Government initiative aimed at connecting disengaged people into education and training. The program was established in response to a recent decline in the number of early school leavers enrolling in vocational education and training programs, in particular in foundation skills training or people aged between 20-64 that are unemployed.
Vulnerable people who leave school early often face multiple barriers to re-engaging in education and training and transitioning to the workforce or further training. They are at risk of remaining disengaged unless they can access the individual wrap-around services needed to successfully support them back into education, training or employment.
GOTAFE is delivering the Reconnect Program to Wangaratta, Benalla, Mitchell Shire, Shepparton, Yea and Strathbogie.
Support We Offer
- Engaging with and assisting eligible people, aged 17 to 64 who are not in education, training or in full time employment.
- Assessing their learning and non-learning needs and career goals, and develop an agreed learning plan.
- Providing support services that will help eligible students start and stay in vocational training.
- Arranging supervised workplace experience to increase employability.
- Providing one on one mentoring.
- Explaining the student welfare services that GOTAFE offers.
Hear from Louise
"Not too long ago I was a discouraged young mother with a desire to learn and make changes in my life, but I lacked direction and my confidence was very low.
I was unaware at the time just how much of an impact the Reconnect Program would have. The level of support I have received has been the foundation of my successes and accomplishments." - Louise Bransden
Hear Louise's story about her experience with the Reconnect Program...
- Aged 17 -64 for the majority of the duration of the program.
- Not enrolled in any other education, training or course at the time of registration in the program.
- Able to meet Victorian Training Guarantee eligibility requirements for enrolment in a VET qualification to receive government subsidised training.
- Not in full time employment.
- Must not have completed any Certificate II or higher qualification.
- The individual has not completed year 12, and has disengaged from school for 14 weeks or more.
Reconnect Referral Process
If a person is identified who may be eligible for the program you should email firstname.lastname@example.org to register interest in receiving more information.
A Reconnect team member will then be in contact to respond to your email, and to obtain the information about the person. To appraise the referral, the Reconnect team member will need the following information:
- Name, age, place of residence and contact details
- Refer to internal or external services