Digital and IT Support
Your one-stop shop for all digital and IT support during your studies.
We’ve laid out all the IT information and resources you need to set up for success during your studies. Treat this as your guide for all digital support, from accessing your GOTAFE student email through Office 365, to using campus wifi, and step-by-step instructions for logging in to online study tools.
WATCH: Logging in to Office 365
When you first enrol at GOTAFE, you will be provided with a GOTAFE student number and email address. Watch this tutorial to learn how to access your email account through Office 365 and change your password, or read through the information below.
Student email address details
Your email address will be: email@example.com
Your initial password is made up of:
- Your full surname (no hyphens, spaces, or apostrophes)
- The month of your birthdate (3 characters – eg Jan, Feb, Mar…etc)
- The year of your birthdate (4 digits – eg 2003)
Example: If your surname is Dunn-O’Riley, and your birthday is 06/10/2001, then your Initial Password will be DunnorileyOct2001
The first time you log in to Office365, you will be asked to change this password.
Please note: these credentials do not apply to goLearn – Moodle or SirsiDynix (Library catalogue search) systems. These systems require separate IDs and passwords which will be provided to you by GOTAFE staff when required.
How to reset your password
How to change your password
- Go to http://portal.office.com and sign in with your school account username and existing password.
- Go to 'Settings' (cog in the top right of the browser), then click on 'Password'.
- Make your changes and click 'Save'.
FAQs for Office 365
How does Office365 help with my studies?
Office 365 is cloud-based and provides online access to Office 365 ‘Click to Run’ which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote.
Office 365 boasts a number of features including:
- Real-time co-authoring in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Inserting links to stored files instead of sending entire files
- Editing and converting to PDF made easy
- Working anywhere from any device
- Ability to install the latest version of Office on a home device using your GOTAFE email address at no cost
Are there any videos to help me understand more about using Office365?
Yes, there are a lot, we have listed a few we think might help:
- What is Office 365?
(Please note that as a student of GOTAFE this subscription is provided)
- How to edit and convert PDF documents
- How to insert links to stored files instead of sending entire files to others
- Real-time co-authoring in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- How you can work anywhere from any device
Why am I being asked to change my Office365 password?
As a security requirement, students now have to periodically change their passwords.
Students will be notified via their student email address within 14 days of the required change.
Instructions on how to do so will be within the email.
Accessing GOTAFE's Wifi Network
GOTAFE’s Wifi is secured and monitored for the safety of all students and staff. In order to connect to our wifi, you will need to follow these steps to authenticate yourself on our network.
- First, ensure you can log in to the GOTAFE network.
Contact IT support
Having trouble accessing any GOTAFE learning tools or just can’t wrap your head around Office 365? IT support is available to help you with any queries via email during business hours Monday to Friday. Our team will endeavour to get back to you within 48 hours.Email IT support