LISTEN: Building Resilience in Times of Crisis
Welcome to our audio series on building resilience in times of crisis! This episode is the first in a series of wellbeing and mental health discussions, with a focus on staying connected and healthy during COVID-19.
Part One: Mental Health, Anxiety and Depression
For our first episode, GOTAFE staff member Ash has a chat with Psychologist Peter Charleston, introducing us to the concept of mental health and providing tips on how to manage anxiety and depression.
If you don’t have time to listen to the full episode, check out some tips below.
"You’re allowed to not cope sometimes. Admit you’re having a ‘not coping’ moment to those around you. Warn them to not ask too much of you today if you feel low. If this persists for more than a few days then consider seeing a professional."
Tips to manage anxiety
- Notice the anxiety - don’t try to fight it or avoid it
- Remind yourself that anxious thoughts are not reality
- Time a time-out - practice yoga, listen to music or meditate
- Eat well balanced meals
- Get enough sleep and exercise
- Talk to someone – refer to the list of online resources below or get in touch with our support staff
Tips to manage depression
- Look for support from people who make you feel safe and cared for
- Support your health with good sleep and good food
- Challenge negative thinking
- Create a wellness toolbox – add some things you like to do when you’re happy, it might be cuddling a pet or reading a good book. Try them when you’re feeling down
- Don’t be afraid to reach out for help - refer to the list of online resources below or get in touch with our support staff
While you're here...
We've got a whole bunch of articles for you to peruse, check them out below!
Elsie shares why completing a VET course in high school will help kick-start her career
Soaring for the sky, this future flight attendant is ready to reach new heights!
Humans of GOTAFE: Kai Bucktin
Kai Bucktin, Vocational Student of the Year finalist shares his education journey