How to make a Christmas pudding that will impress your guests
With Christmas just around the corner, why not take a page from our baking trainers recipe book?
- 225g sultanas
- 225g raisins
- 110g currants
- 110g glace cherries (chopped)
- 110g dates (chopped)
- 110g mixed peel
- 30ml brandy or sherry
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 110g butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 40ml milk
- 20g jam
- 170g brown sugar
- Wash sultanas, raisins, currants, glace cherries, dates and mixed peel then drain well. Mix through brandy or sherry then place in airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
- Grease and flour pudding bowl.
- Stir brown sugar into brandy (or sherry) and sultana mix.
- Sieve self-raising flour and mixed spice.
- Rub butter, self-raising flour and mixed spice by hand to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Combine eggs, milk with hand whisk and add to flour and butter.
- Add all ingredients together, mix by hand with wooden spoon until batter clears. Do not overmix.
- Place in a pudding bowl cover with double layer of foil and tie with string around edge.
- Steam in double boiler for 4 hours. Allow to cool. Take out of pudding bowl. Wrap tightly and refrigerate.
- To reheat, wrap pudding in foil and steam gently for 2 hours.