Learn to repair and service motorcycles with the Certificate III in Motorcycle Mechanical Technology.
Diagnose and repair issues with everything from braking and steering systems, and learn skills in welding, heating, and cutting.
You'll also learn important workplace safety skills so you're prepared for life in a real mechanics workshop.
Please note: the information on this page is relevant for 2022 enrolments.
Studying during COVID-19 Restrictions
We've had to make adjustments to how our courses are delivered due to the restrictions imposed by COVID-19. This means that we're currently offering a combination of delivery modes including online and flexible learning and, where we can, on-campus classes with strict social distancing in place.
This course prepares you to work in the Automotive Service and Repair industry, with a specialisation in motorcycle repair.
Working in this industry can also be physically demanding. Applicants should consider their physical ability to complete the job role e.g. bending, lifting, manual handling etc.
After graduating, you might like to undertake further study in the AUR40216 Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Diagnosis or AUR40816 Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Overhauling or other relevant qualifications.
Course Dates & Times
Apprenticeship - Open from 17th January / 2022
Wangaratta - Docker Street
Apprenticeship - Open from 17th January / 2022
Detailed Fee Information
This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding to eligible individuals.
Please note that the fees on this webpage, for this particular course:
- are correct at the time of publishing for those enrolling in 2022 and may change without notice.
- will be discussed with applications as part of the application process to ensure it is understood what is being paid for and which fee rates they may be eligible for.
Course Fees consist of 3 different components:
- Student Tuition Fee - cover the costs of training and assessment. These fees vary across courses and are calculated based on a rate per nominal hour enrolled in. The student tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Circumstances may include:
- an individual’s eligibility for Victorian (Skills First) and Commonwealth government-funded training
- an individual’s eligibility for concession rates on Victorian (Skills First) and Commonwealth government-funded training
- ineligible individuals who are required to pay the full fees for tuition and other costs.
- Material Fee - where applicable, cover the costs of classroom consumables, handouts and booklets, e-Learning resources and associated license access fees and excursions.
- Student Services Fee (SSF) - contributes to the provision of student engagement, learning and support services. SSF is a non-refundable annual fee that does not apply to short course participants.
Additionally, some courses require students to purchase or supply textbooks, kits, tools, uniforms and personal protection equipment. Some specific materials may be purchased through the GOTAFE Bookshop. A full list with associated costs will be provided to you at your course information session or during the pre-training review Interview.
GOTAFE offers a range of payment options to help you pay your fees.
Learn more about fees, charges, refunds and payment options
This course is in transition. The course code, title, units and content may change in the future. Further information will be provided upon enrolment, or during the course of your training.
Training package entry requirements
There are no training package entry requirements for this qualification.
GOTAFE preferred entry requirements
Before being accepted into the course applicants must:
- Complete a Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) online test to ensure the required literacy & numeracy levels for the course are met.
- Undertake a Pre-training Review by interview to ensure the course suits their needs and aspirations, and that they are likely to complete the course successfully.
- Please apply through the Apprenticeship Network Provider with your employer to organise your apprenticeship/traineeship contract prior to applying for this course
This course contains some on-line learning. You will need (basic computer skills, for example, search the internet, write word documents and use email) and access to the internet and a computer, laptop or tablet.
Course Study Units
Specific types of assessments may include the following:
- Knowledge tests
- Work observation evidence
- Online Assessments
Attendance & Commitment
It is important that students commit to all course requirements, including study and assessments that the student may need to complete outside their normal training sessions.
Students are encouraged to attend all face-to-face sessions and participate in webinars, excursions or other organised activities.
Apprenticeship - Attendance on campus is required for 5 days per week for 7 blocks throughout the period of the apprenticeship. Students will be advised of these dates upon enrolment. The majority of the learning is on-and-off-the-job under the supervision of the employer/workplace supervisor and trainer.
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
A free and confidential service to help you build the foundation skills you need to be successful at TAFE. Improve your english language, maths and/or writing skills; enhance your computer, exam and study skills.
Our library team are passionate about supporting students to achieve their study goals. They have subject guides, referencing help, and online resources to assist you with you assessments.
Jobs and study options
Our Skills and Jobs Centres can assist and talk through options for courses, careers, assistance with job applications and more.
Whether you need support with time management, your mental health, grief and loss, a diagnosed disability, financial hardship, or any other challenge life through your way, we are here to help.
Support for personal issues
We have a dedicated team to ensure students have the help they need with personal issues impacting studies such as homelessness, family problems & setting up payment plans.
Get access to the supports and adjustments you need for your disability or medical condition to be successful in your studies.
We offer free counselling services to help you work through life's challenges including grief and loss, mental health or relationships.
Refer to the Student Handbook for information regarding Learner’s Rights Student Handbook.
Further information is provided at course induction.
Please note: Eligible individuals who wish to access a government subsidised place, must participate in a Pre-training Review. This will consider your:
- Aspirations/career goals
- Educational attainment and capability
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Suitability for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Enrolment in general public entry courses will require a selection interview. Please call 1300 468 233 to enquire further.
Skills Recognition is an assessment only process that may result in credits towards a part or full qualification. There is no formal training involved, although you may choose to complete further training as a result of the assessment process.
You can apply for Skills Recognition before you enrol in the qualification you are seeking. You can apply for Skills Recognition through one or both of the following processes:
Credit Transfer for formal training that might be equivalent to a new qualification or partial qualification
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for people who have relevant and current skills and knowledge that they have gained through non-formal or informal learning i.e. work or life experience.
Browse other courses
Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation (AUR20716)
Get an introduction to the Auto industry with the Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation from GOTAFE.
Certificate III in Heavy Commercial Vehicle Mechanical Technology (AUR31116)
Repair issues with everything from hydraulic systems to powershift transmissions with the Certificate III in Heavy Commercial Vehicle Mechanical Technology.