A Pre-apprenticeship course will teach you the foundation skills needed to get a head start on paid employment. Prepare yourself to excel as an apprentice, by learning the hands-on skills employers are looking for.
What is a Pre-apprenticeship?
Pre-apprenticeships are not mandatory for entry into an occupation, but they help prepare you for a formal apprenticeship.
A Pre-apprenticeship is tied to a Certificate II in your area of interest (e.g. Certificate II in Building and Construction), but you don’t need to have an employer to start the course.
You can complete a Pre-apprenticeship at a training provider or, if you’re still at school, as part of your VCE of VCAL studies.
What are the benefits of doing a Pre-apprenticeship?
Completing a Pre-apprenticeship can help you assess whether you enjoy and are interested in a particular industry.
A Pre-apprenticeship will give you a set of basic skills, or improve your existing skills, so if you decide to go ahead with a full apprenticeship you will be better equipped to succeed.
Having a completed Pre-apprenticeship may also make you more attractive to potential employers by showing that you have a foundation of skills and a passion for the industry.
Some Pre-apprenticeships can help reduce the length of a formal apprenticeship. This only applies to selected courses approved by the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA). To find out if this applies to your Pre-apprenticeship contact your training provider.
Delivered from specialist training centres, we cover a range of industries including:
Automotive & Engineering
- AUR20218 Certificate II in Automotive Air Conditioning Technology
- AUR20916 Certificate II in Automotive Body Repair Technology
- AUR205016 Certificate II in Automotive Servicing Technology
- AUR20716 Certificate II In Automotive Vocational Preparation
- 22470VIC Certificate II in Engineering Studies
Building, Electrical & Plumbing
- 22338VIC Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pre-apprenticeship)
- UEE22011 Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- 22304VIC Certificate II in Plumbing (Pre-apprenticeship)
- MSF20413 Certificate II in Glass and Glazing
Art & Design
- ICP20115 Certificate II in Printing and Graphic Arts (General)
- 22285VIC Certificate II in Signage and Graphics