GOTAFE has welcomed the Victorian Government’s budget announcement.
The centrepiece of the Andrew’s Labour Government Budget is Free TAFE for Priority Courses, designed to reduce the financial barrier for students wanting to train in courses that lead to priority occupations – those in demand from employers in the Victorian economy.
“GOTAFE is delighted with the Budget announcement in support of high quality public education and the recognition that vocational education and training is an essential investment in the future of our state and our region,” said GOTAFE Acting CEO, Jennifer Oliver.
“This targeted and strategic funding will provide free training for students enrolling in 30 priority TAFE courses and 18 pre-apprenticeship courses. There are also training places which will support industry and in particular the skills required to support jobs growth in our region and support for our apprenticeships and traineeship delivery including the development of high quality learning materials.
“Our very important VET‐in‐Schools (VETiS) will also receive funding and support for pathways. We very much appreciate this recognition by government of the skills which will equip our students for the future economy. “
Free TAFE for Priority Courses is a Victorian Government program that will pay a student’s tuition fees, if eligible, to study one of 38 priority courses at TAFE.
From 1 January 2019, students who are eligible for Victorian Government-subsidised training will not pay course tuition fees for:
- An initial 20 priority non‑apprenticeship courses, state-wide – a further 10 priority courses will be confirmed following consultation with industry, in time for students to enrol for the 2019 training year
- 18 Victorian Government-subsidised apprenticeship pathway courses (sometimes called pre‑apprenticeships)
Free TAFE for Priority Courses will start on 1 January 2019.
Students who are eligible for Victorian Government-subsidised training can access the Free TAFE for Priority Courses initiative to study tuition fee free in one of the following GOTAFE courses in 2019:
- Certificate IV/Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Accounting
- Certificate IV in Ageing Support
- Certificate II/III/IV in Agriculture
- Certificate III in Agriculture (Dairy Production)
- Certificate III/IV in Allied Health Assistance
- Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)
- Certificate III/IV/Diploma in Community Services
- Certificate III/IV in Dental Assisting
- Certificate IV in Disability
- Certificate III/IV in Education Support
- Certificate IV in Engineering
- Certificate III in Horticulture
- Certificate III in Hospitality
- Certificate III in Individual Support
- Certificate IV in Mental Health
- Diploma of Nursing
- Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services
Apprenticeship pathway courses
- Certificate II in Automotive Air Conditioning Technology
- Certificate II in Automotive Body Repair Technology
- Certificate II in Automotive Servicing Technology
- Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- Certificate II in Electrotechnology Studies (Pre-vocational)
- Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- Certificate II in Engineering Studies
- Certificate II in Furniture Making
- Certificate II in Glass and Glazing
- Certificate II in Horticulture
- Certificate II in Meat Processing (Food Services)
- Certificate II in Plumbing (Pre-apprenticeship)
- Certificate II in Retail Baking Assistance
- Certificate II in Salon Assistant
Skills and Jobs Centres located at GOTAFE campuses across North East Victoria will continue to play a large part in providing expert advice on training and employment opportunities to those wishing to take advantage of this initiative.
For more information about Free TAFE for Priority Courses, including eligibility and course details, contact GOTAFE at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 GOTAFE (468 233).