The focus of this course is the development of skills in the operation and maintenance of chainsaws. It is most appropriate for people with some experience of chainsaws.
AHCMOM213 Operate and maintain chainsaws:
- This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a hand-held chainsaw and maintain it in working condition.
- This unit applies to cross-cutting fallen timber using safe cutting techniques.
- The unit applies to individuals who apply low-risk work procedures and comply with worksite health and safety requirements when operating hand-held chainsaws to carry out routine work.
This short accredited course is delivered as blended learning with online theory to be completed prior to attending 2 x 7 hour face-to-face practical classes.
This course has been created from industry feedback as a requirement for recognising and formalising the correct operation of a chainsaw.
Students are interviewed before being enrolled to ensure that they have the current relevant skills and knowledge to be able to complete this fast-tracked course (2 days). Due to the high-risk nature of this course - enrolments are capped at 8 students per Trainer and Assessor to ensure safety standards.
Studying during COVID-19 Restrictions
During COVID‐19 lockdown periods, this course will have the majority of the training delivered using online methods of teaching and communication while students engage from home with their trainers. Any required practical components of the course will be moved to a more appropriate time later in the year.
Employment outcomes after completing this course include the role of chainsaw operator.
Students wishing to continue with their studies may wish to undertake AHC20116 Certificate II in Agriculture
Course Dates & Times
Currently there are no upcoming sessions available for this course. To register your interest in this course, click the "Register Your Interest" button at the top of this page.
Detailed Fee Information
The student tuition fees as published are subject to
change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Please note all fees
and charges are correct at time of publication for 2022 and may change
Material fees cover costs associated with the following where applicable, and not limited to:
- Classroom activity consumables, handouts and booklets
- E-Learning resources and associated license access fees
Additionally some courses require students to purchase or supply text
books, kits, tools, uniforms and personal protection equipment. Some
specific materials may be purchased through the GOTAFE Bookshop. A full
list with associated costs will be provided to you at your course
information session or during the pre-training review Interview.
Training package entry requirements
There are no training package entry requirements for this qualification.
GOTAFE preferred entry requirements
Prior to entering into this program, potential students:
- answer questions to determine their suitability and ensure that this course is the most appropriate training program to suit their individual needs and goals.
- Attend an interview to qualify the applicant's prior knowledge and suitability to undertake a fast-tracked course.
- will be required to have the physical ability to safely handle a chainsaw.
- provide their own safety boots, long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat and sunscreen
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
A free and confidential service to help you build the foundation skills you need to be successful at TAFE. Improve your english language, maths and/or writing skills; enhance your computer, exam and study skills.
Our library team are passionate about supporting students to achieve their study goals. They have subject guides, referencing help, and online resources to assist you with you assessments.
Jobs and study options
Our Skills and Jobs Centres can assist and talk through options for courses, careers, assistance with job applications and more.
Browse other courses
Farm Chemical Refresher (SCCHEMRE22)
For those people who have already completed the full Farm Chemical Users Certificate
Certificate III in Horticulture (AHC30716)
Play your part in creating a more sustainable environment with the Certificate III in Horticulture from GOTAFE.