Take your passion for horses to the next level. Study a Certificate III in Performance Horse and gain the skills to work and train horses in a range of environments.
You'll learn handling, feeding, and exercising techniques, and gain skills in fitting gear, riding, lunging, and competition preparation.
You'll also learn core skills in stable duties, first aid work, administering medication, and the safe transportation of horses.
This course is delivered online, and supported by practical workshops and webinars.
This course has been designed for students who have some experience handling horses.
This course prepares you to work in the Animal Care and Management industry. Roles you may be eligible for include:
- Professional Rider
- Trail Riding Assistant
- Stable Hand
- Stud Worker
- Farm Hand
- Stock Rider
After graduating, you might like to undertake further study in the:
- ACM30717 Certificate III in Horse Breeding
- ACM30817 Certificate III in Performance Horse
- ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing
Course Dates & Times
Wangaratta - Tone Road
Starts Mon 1st July, Blended On Line Delivery / 2019
Starts Monday 17th Feb, Blended Online, Inc Web and Prac / 2020
Starts Wednesday 1st July, Blended Online, Inc Web and Prac / 2020
The student tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Please note all fees and charges are correct at time of publication for 2020 and may change without notice.
Students will be invoiced for the components of the course that they are enrolled into for each year or semester.
Material fees cover costs associated with the following where applicable, and not limited to:
- Classroom activity consumables, handouts and booklets
- E-Learning resources and associated license access fees
Additionally some courses require students to purchase or supply text books, kits, tools, uniforms and personal protection equipment. Some specific materials may be purchased through the GOTAFE Bookshop. A full list with associated costs will be provided to you at your course information session or during the pre-training review Interview.
Training package entry requirements
There are no training package requirements for this qualification.
GOTAFE preferred entry requirements
Before being accepted into the course applicants must:
- Applicants must complete a Self-Assessment of their horse skills prior to entry.
- Attend an interview
- Undertake a Pre-training Review to document previous work experience and qualifications and assess suitability for the course
- Complete a Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) test to ensure the required language, literacy and numeracy levels are met for the course
You also need to be aware that:
- Students must be over 15 years of age at time of course commencement.
- Students will need access to horses in order to complete assessment tasks.
- Working with horses can be physically demanding, therefore a moderate level of physical fitness, agility and strength are required.
- Students who choose to enrol into the riding elective are required to undertake a pre-assessment of their walk, trot and canter skills with an N.C.A.S. qualified instructor prior to enrolling into the elective unit.
It is recommended that students have current Tetanus immunisation.
Course Study Units
Assessment methods may include:
- Video/Photographic Portfolio
- Online test
- Written assignments
- Practical demonstration
- Written report
- Third Party Evidence
Clothes suitable for working with horses are to be provided by the student and are compulsory (approved helmet, boots, long pants) with access required to suitable performance horses and facilities to successfully complete the Assessment Tasks.
Attendance & Commitment
It is important that students commit to all course requirements, including study and assessments the student may need to complete outside their normal training sessions.
Students are required to complete 40 hours of practical experience in the equine industry where they undertake duties related to their units of study and gain valuable knowledge and skills.
Where to From Here
If you need any further clarification of the information provided please contact one of our client service officers on 1300 468 233 who can assist you or click Enquire Now.
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you will be welcome to access a variety of non-academic support services from the Student Welfare Unit. These services are designed to best support you to successfully complete your course.
Services include on campus supports and remote supports
- employment information
- activities etc.
Refer to the Student Handbook for information regarding Learner’s Rights Student Handbook.
Further information is provided at course induction.
Please note: Eligible individuals who wish to access a government subsidised place, must participate in a Pre-training Review. This will consider your:
- Aspirations/career goals
- Educational attainment and capability
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Suitability for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Enrolment in general public entry courses will require a selection interview. Please call 1300 468 233 to enquire further.
Skills Recognition is an assessment only process that may result in credits towards a part or full qualification. There is no formal training involved, although you may choose to complete further training as a result of the assessment process.
You can apply for Skills Recognition before you enrol in the qualification you are seeking. You can apply for Skills Recognition through one or both of the following processes:
- Credit Transfer for formal training that might be equivalent to a new qualification or partial qualification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for people who have relevant and current skills and knowledge that they have gained through non-formal or informal learning i.e. work or life experience.
Browse other courses
Certificate III in Equine Studies (22513VIC)
Turn your passion for horses into a career with a course in Equine Studies from GOTAFE.
Mandatory Training for Stablehands (SA3MANDT20)
This 2020 short course is the recognised qualification by Racing Victoria to work in a Victorian Racing Stable or Racetrack for Stablehands and Trackriders.