The Milking Machine Technicians course includes the skills and knowledge required to mechanically test milking machines, to carry out minor services of milking equipment and to analyse and interpret data and complete a milking machine test report using ISO standards.
The course applies to technicians who test, service and repair milking machine components. Milking Machines must be well maintained and tested annually in accordance with ISO 6690:2007 by a technician trained in that standard.
The accredited course is a requirement for HACCAP Food safety plans for farm compliance.
Successful completion will enable you to be registered on Dairy Australia's Countdown website as an accredited technician.
Studying during COVID-19 Restrictions
We’ve had to make adjustments to how our courses are delivered due to the restrictions imposed by COVID-19. This means that we’re currently offering a combination of delivery modes including online and flexible learning and, where we can, on-campus classes with strict social distancing in place.
Course Dates & Times
Shepparton - William Orr
Milk Machine Testing Course - Open from 18/01/2021 - Online & pract /2021
Milk Machine Testing Course - Open from 19/07/2021 - Online & pract /2021
Detailed Fee Information
The student tuition fees as published are subject to
change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Please note all fees
and charges are correct at time of publication for 2021 and may change
Material fees cover costs associated with the following where applicable, and not limited to:
- Classroom activity consumables, handouts and booklets
- E-Learning resources and associated license access fees
Additionally some courses require students to purchase or supply text
books, kits, tools, uniforms and personal protection equipment. Some
specific materials may be purchased through the GOTAFE Bookshop. A full
list with associated costs will be provided to you at your course
information session or during the pre-training review Interview.
The learner will require access to the following equipment to undertaken practical tasks:
1. Air Flow Meter. Ideally, the capacity should be at least 3,000L/minF. The meter used for measuring airflow shall be capable of measuring with a maximum error of 5 % of the measured value and a repeatability of 1 % of the measured value or 1 I/min of free air, whichever is the greater, over a vacuum range of 30 kPa to 60 kPa and for atmospheric pressures from 80 kPa to 105 kPa.
2. Vacuum Gauge. Technicians need an accurate specialised vacuum gauge that is able to measure with an error of less than ± 0.6 kPa and a repeatability within ± 0.2 kPa.
3. Vacuum Recorder. These are designed specifically to test milking machines to check pulsation characteristics and accurately check and record vacuum levels and vacuum fluctuations in various parts of a milking system. The instrument, including connection tubes, used for measuring pulsation characteristics shall measure with an error of less than ± 1 pulse/min for the pulsation rate and with an error of less than ± 1 unit of percentage for the pulsation phases and the pulsator ratio. Vacuum accuracy is the same as for a vacuum gauge (Point 2)
4. Teatcup plugs.
6. Assorted specialised tubes and fittings such as vacuum tubes, flexible sleeves, plugs, rings and fittings to suit a range of milking equipment.
7. Assorted general hand tools.
Attendance & Commitment
It is important that students commit to all course requirements, including study and assessments the student may need to complete outside their normal training sessions.
Throughout the course, students are expected to complete activities whilst in the workplace under the guidance/supervisor of their supervisor/employer. Students are visited at a worksite by their trainer for face to face training and assessment.
This course consists of theory online plus 3 days practical training. For RPL the practical is 1 day. Practical training in regional dairy farming areas, based on student numbers.
Where to From Here
If you need any further clarification of the information provided please contact one of our client service officers on 1300 468 233 who can assist you or submit an enquiry through our website now and one of the team will be in touch.
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you will be welcome to access a variety of non-academic support services from the Student Welfare Unit. These services are designed to best support you to successfully complete your course.
Services include on campus supports and remote supports
- employment information
- activities etc.
Refer to the Student Handbook for information regarding Learner’s Rights Student Handbook.
Further information is provided at course induction.
Please note: Eligible individuals who wish to access a government subsidised place, must participate in a Pre-training Review. This will consider your:
- Aspirations/career goals
- Educational attainment and capability
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Suitability for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Enrolment in general public entry courses will require a selection interview. Please call 1300 468 233 to enquire further.
Skills Recognition is an assessment only process that may result in credits towards a part or full qualification. There is no formal training involved, although you may choose to complete further training as a result of the assessment process.
You can apply for Skills Recognition before you enrol in the qualification you are seeking. You can apply for Skills Recognition through one or both of the following processes:
- Credit Transfer for formal training that might be equivalent to a new qualification or partial qualification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for people who have relevant and current skills and knowledge that they have gained through non-formal or informal learning i.e. work or life experience.
Browse other courses
Milk Tanker Operator Skill Set (FBPSS00050)
Co-designed as a partnership between Dairy Australia, milk transport companies and GOTAFE
Farm Chemical Refresher (SCCHEMRE21)
For those people who have already completed the full Farm Chemical Users Certificate