Learn the principles and practice of rearing strong, healthy dairy calves in this one-day program.
The course will teach you how to identify and control the risks associated with rearing calves, assess your current calf rearing systems and build a risk management plan based on the systems you have in place.
On the day, you'll cover topics including:
- Pre-calving care
- Procedures for calving
- Colostrum management
- Growing strong and healthy calves
- Disease management and identification
- Nutrition and weaning
- Legislation covering animal welfare
- Building a risk management plan
Course Dates & Times
Shepparton - William Orr
Starts Friday 6th March, 9am - 4pm, 2 day Course / 2020
Starts Friday 1st May, 9am - 4pm, 2 day Course / 2020
Starts Thursday 2nd July, 9am - 4pm, 2 day Course / 2020
Starts Thursday 3rd September, 9am - 4pm, 2 day Course / 2020
GOTAFE preferred entry requirements
Before being accepted into the course applicants must:
- Undertake a Pre-training Review to document previous work experience and qualifications and assess suitability for the course
- Complete a Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) test to ensure the required language, literacy and numeracy levels are met for the course
Course Study Units
Assessment methods may include:
- Direct observation
- Knowledge challenge
Attendance & Commitment
It is important that students commit to all course requirements, including study and assessments the student may need to complete outside their normal training sessions.
Students will be enrolled into 110 training hours.
Additional time is required to complete the assessment tasks.
Where to From Here
If you need any further clarification of the information provided please contact one of our client service officers on 1300 468 233 who can assist you or click Enquire Now.
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you will be welcome to access a variety of non-academic support services from the Student Welfare Unit. These services are designed to best support you to successfully complete your course.
Services include on campus supports and remote supports
- employment information
- activities etc.
Refer to the Student Handbook for information regarding Learner’s Rights Student Handbook.
Further information is provided at course induction.
Please note: Eligible individuals who wish to access a government subsidised place, must participate in a Pre-training Review. This will consider your:
- Aspirations/career goals
- Educational attainment and capability
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Suitability for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Enrolment in general public entry courses will require a selection interview. Please call 1300 468 233 to enquire further.
Skills Recognition is an assessment only process that may result in credits towards a part or full qualification. There is no formal training involved, although you may choose to complete further training as a result of the assessment process.
You can apply for Skills Recognition before you enrol in the qualification you are seeking. You can apply for Skills Recognition through one or both of the following processes:
- Credit Transfer for formal training that might be equivalent to a new qualification or partial qualification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for people who have relevant and current skills and knowledge that they have gained through non-formal or informal learning i.e. work or life experience.