The Certificate II in Health Support Services is the recognised qualification to become a qualified Health Services Assistant.
You'll gain skills in a broad range of specialisations, and will learn to provide support for the effective functioning of health services.
Come to GOTAFE and get a head start on your health industry career. The Certificate II in Health Support Services is a pre-employment program, so we welcome all age groups, skill levels and backgrounds. We guide you through the program, getting you job ready. We have health industry connections across north eastern Victoria. We can even help find opportunities for work experience and employment.
This course is delivered as a School Based Apprenticeship.
This course prepares you for a role in the Health sector. Roles you may be eligible for include:
- Ward Assistant or Clerk
- Operating Theatre Technician
- Nurse's Aide
- Hospital Cleaner
- Food Service Worker
- Hospital Laundry Supervisor
- Hospital Maintenance Worker
After graduating, you might like to undertake further study in:
- HLT33215 Certficate III in Health Support Services
- HLT33015 Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance
- HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
Course Dates & Times
Currently there are no upcoming sessions available for this course. To register your interest in this course, click the "Register Your Interest" button at the top of this page.
The student tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Please note all fees and charges are correct at time of publication for 2019 and may change without notice. 2020 fees are yet to be published.
Students will be invoiced for the components of the course that they are enrolled into for each year or semester.
Material fees cover costs associated with the following where applicable, and not limited to:
- Classroom activity consumables, handouts and booklets
- E-Learning resources and associated license access fees
Additionally some courses require students to purchase or supply text books, kits, tools, uniforms and personal protection equipment. Some specific materials may be purchased through the GOTAFE Bookshop. A full list with associated costs will be provided to you at your course information session or during the pre-training review Interview.
Training package entry requirements
There are no training package entry requirements for this qualification.
GOTAFE preferred entry requirements
Before being accepted into the course applicants must:
- Attend an interview
- Undertake a Pre-training Review to document previous work experience and qualifications and assess suitability for the course
- Complete a Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) test to ensure the required language, literacy and numeracy levels are met for the course
- Please apply through an Apprenticeship Network Provider (australianapprenticeships.gov.au) with your employer to organise your apprenticeship contract prior to applying for this course
Course Study Units
Assessment methods may include:
- Knowledge tests
- Short answer questions
- Skills requisition on site
- Online Assessments (Business)
Attendance & Commitment
It is important that students commit to all course requirements, including study and assessments the student may need to complete outside their normal training sessions.
Attendance to scheduled GOTAFE training/assessment sessions is compulsory. Some assessment will be completed online.
The course is run via blended classroom and employer based delivery, conducted part time over a 1 year period. Students attend classes 1 day per fortnight.
When in the workplace all students must meet the employee guidelines in regards to workplace health and safety, required immunisations and any other workplace requirements as stipulated by the employer. Students must at all times abide by the employer's policies and procedures and other relevant legislation.
Where to From Here
If you need any further clarification of the information provided please contact one of our client service officers on 1300 468 233 who can assist you or click Enquire Now.
Educational Support Services
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you may access a wide range of academic support services to assist you to meet the academic challenges of your course from our Learning Support Unit.
As an enrolled student at GOTAFE you will be welcome to access a variety of non-academic support services from the Student Welfare Unit. These services are designed to best support you to successfully complete your course.
Services include on campus supports and remote supports
- employment information
- activities etc.
Refer to the Student Handbook for information regarding Learner’s Rights Student Handbook.
Further information is provided at course induction.
Please note: Eligible individuals who wish to access a government subsidised place, must participate in a Pre-training Review. This will consider your:
- Aspirations/career goals
- Educational attainment and capability
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- Suitability for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Enrolment in general public entry courses will require a selection interview. Please call 1300 468 233 to enquire further.
Skills Recognition is an assessment only process that may result in credits towards a part or full qualification. There is no formal training involved, although you may choose to complete further training as a result of the assessment process.
You can apply for Skills Recognition before you enrol in the qualification you are seeking. You can apply for Skills Recognition through one or both of the following processes:
- Credit Transfer for formal training that might be equivalent to a new qualification or partial qualification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for people who have relevant and current skills and knowledge that they have gained through non-formal or informal learning i.e. work or life experience.
Browse other courses
Provide First Aid - Flexible (SC3FDAID19)
Provide First Aid Flexible is a one-day, fast-paced refresher course for people who are already trained in First Aid.
Oral Medications Safety Refresher Workshop (SC0MEREF19)
This workshop is a refresher course for Merriwa disability workers who assist clients to self-administer oral medications.