Update 13 July 2020
A warm welcome to Semester Two to all GOTAFE students. For those of you who are returning from term break this week, I hope that you had a well-earned rest and were able to spend time connecting with family and friends.
For new students who are commencing with us this Semester, I would like to welcome you and extend our appreciation for choosing GOTAFE as your training partner. While these are challenging times, please be assured we continue to strive to ensure your experience at GOTAFE is outstanding.
There are a number of important updates below regarding our response to COVID-19, I urge you to also stay up to date via our website. The situation in Victoria, in particular, is evolving rapidly and we are committed to ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of our students is our primary consideration.
I want to reaffirm that there are no current or suspected cases of COVID-19 at any GOTAFE campus.
Current COVID-19 Restrictions
As a result of the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Metropolitan Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire, these areas are under Stage Three ‘Stay at Home’ restrictions for the next six weeks. Information about the restrictions can be found here.
These restrictions predominantly impact students based at the Seymour, Wallan and Werribee campuses. Affected students have been contacted regarding arrangements over the next six weeks. If you have not been contacted and you normally attend one of these campuses please contact your trainer.
The Victoria-New South Wales border is also subject to travel restrictions. GOTAFE has contacted students who currently reside in NSW and attend training in Victoria to discuss options. If you are impacted and require support or further information please speak with your trainer. GOTAFE is committed to doing everything we can to minimise any disruption to your training plans.
I urge all students to stay informed about the latest Government directives and comply with the regulations. We all need to play our part in reducing the spread of COVID-19.
Impacts on training delivery activities
The current advice from Government is that education and training activities should continue, with a preference for remote delivery wherever possible. If training and assessment activities must be delivered face-to-face (including trainee and apprentice visits) then this can continue, providing strict social distancing guidelines can be adhered to.
A reminder for students returning to on-campus activities
- All communal spaces will remain closed to both students and staff – as Government guidelines change, some of these spaces may open up and we will keep you informed about these changes.
- Thorough cleaning and hygiene protocols are in place for all campuses and will be continuing throughout Term 3.
- Social distancing must be observed at all times. This includes maintaining a 1.5-metre distance from other people and observing the ‘one person per every 4 square meters in an enclosed room’ rule.
- Social distancing also applies outdoors on campus grounds so please maintain distance and avoid gathering in groups.
- Please restrict your visits to campus to essential education activities and do not stay longer than is required.
- All staff, students and visitors to GOTAFE are required to sign in when entering a campus building. Sign in stations have been set up at the entry of each building. Students are required to bring their pens for hygiene reasons.
Students returning to campus are required to complete a ‘Return to Campus’ checklist which can be found here on the GOTAFE website. You must complete this checklist before returning to any on-campus activities. Your trainers will also provide you with a COVID-19 briefing and short training session when you commence back on campus.
We are committed to supporting students to continue to engage in your studies. Whether learning from home or on campus, we have a range of supports available including access to our counsellors, student success coordinators, disability support officers, career and pathway advisors and our trainers.
I encourage you to access these services and get any support you need. You’ll find contact details in the Students section of our website.
Student support available
A reminder to all students that our campuses remain open from 8.30 am-5.30 pm with staff available to talk to you face to face about any support needs you may have. This includes:
• Shepparton - Fryers Street, Archer Street and William Orr campuses
• Wangaratta - Docker Street & Tone Road campuses
Please note – For the period of the Stage 3 restrictions, access to our Wallan and Werribee campuses is by appointment only. Please contact 1300 468 233 to arrange an appointment at either of these campuses.
I want to thank you for your patience and wish you all the best with your studies for Semester Two. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you require any support.