Update on COVID-19
Information as at Wednesday 5 August 11.00 am AEST
GOTAFE is actively working to manage the situation with COVID-19 following advice from the Department of Education and Training which is being advised by the Department of Health and Human Services.
A friendly reminder that social distancing applies on campus, both in and outside of class. Make sure you know the social distancing rules.
The health and wellbeing of our students, staff and communities is our primary focus. At this point in time the advice is:
- There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on any of our GOTAFE campuses.
- GOTAFE remains open and accessible for our students. Our focus is on continuing to provide an array of education options which will meet the needs of students during this time.
- From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, Stage Four restrictions are in place across metropolitan Melbourne. From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, Stage Three ‘Stay at Home’ restrictions will apply throughout regional Victoria. In line with these directions, a number of courses which had returned to on-campus delivery mode will revert back to remote delivery.
- Your trainer should have been in contact to discuss particular arrangements for your course. If you have any queries about arrangements for your course please contact us on 1300 468 233.
- We understand a number of GOTAFE students are currently completing placement activities for their course assessments. We are working to ensure that as many placements are able to continue where possible. Your trainer will be in contact to ensure you have information about how your placements will be managed
- From Monday 3 August, it will be mandatory for all students and staff who are on any GOTAFE campus to wear a face mask or covering.
- Staff and students are encouraged to wear their own reusable masks, however, single-use masks will be available at campus receptions for both staff and students to use when on campus if they are unable to bring their own.
- The Victoria-New South Wales border is currently closed. GOTAFE has contacted students who currently reside in NSW to discuss options to continue with their training. If you are impacted and require support or further information please speak with your trainer.
- Students who are required to attend campus in Semester 2 need to fill out a Return to Campus Checklist before returning to any on-campus activities.
- A range of information to assist you with remote learning can be found via this fact-sheet.
- All staff, students and visitors to GOTAFE are required to sign in when entering a campus building. Sign in stations have been set up at the entry of each building. Students are required to bring their own pens for hygiene reasons.
- GOTAFE has implemented increased cleaning programs across all campuses.
- In the interest of public health, the GOTAFE Library and GOTAFE Bookshop will remain physically closed until further notice. However, students can access the full range of online resources via the library page on our website.
If you have any specific questions, please contact your trainer or ask us a question below. As the situation continues to rapidly evolve, please continue to check back to this page for updated information.
GOTAFE have moved to delivering training for our students in four modes:
We will continue to deliver a range of courses on-campus in a face-to-face mode with strict social distancing measures in place.
For some courses, the majority of the training will be delivered online while students engage from home. Any required practical components of the course will be moved to a more appropriate time later in the year.
Some courses will be delivered online while students engage from home with their trainers.
Unfortunately, some courses which cannot be practically delivered in the current circumstances will be paused until we’re able to deliver them on campus at a future time.
Our trainers are in regular contact with students to discuss what this means for their individual course.
COVID-19 Fact Sheets Translated
The Department of Home Affairs has created a number of translated COVID-19 Fact Sheets.
Topics covered include:
- Close contact with confirmed cases
- Community return
- Identifying symptoms
- Isolation guidance
- Residential care services
- Early childhood centres
- Social distancing
Frequently Asked Questions
What does this mean for my fees?
Any payments you have made will be retained and will apply to your current enrolment. If your course has been paused and you are on a payment plan, GOTAFE will pause the plan and stop debiting your bank account until you restart your course.
What does this mean for placements?
Trainers are adjusting the course timetables so that placements can be scheduled for later in the year. Please speak with your trainer for more information.
What does this mean for my face-to-face assessments?
There are a range of options including delaying assessment until later in the year, video assessment, or continuing with face-to-face assessment complying with physical distancing protocols. Our aim is to give you every opportunity to complete your assessments and complete your course as planned. Please speak with your trainer about your individual circumstances.
I’m feeling unwell, what do I do?
Please follow the advice from the Department of Health and Human Services.
Can I still access support services?
It's normal to be feeling overwhelmed and stressed given the situation. The good news is that our Student Success Team are here to help!
GOTAFE student support services are still available during this time. If you have any concerns regarding wellbeing or disability needs, or if you are experiencing welfare and financial issues, please contact the student support services by calling us on 1300 468 233 or visiting the Students section of our website. Remote library services are also available.
Will I complete my course on time?
Our aim is to give you every opportunity to receive all your training, complete your assessments and complete your course in the original planned time frame. However we are not able to give an absolute guarantee that this will occur in the current COVID-19 restricted environment. We can assure you that we will do our best to meet your expectations.
Can I defer from my course?
Yes, you can defer your course and restart again in 2021. Please get in touch or have a conversation with your trainer.
What if I want to change my course now that things have changed?
Changing your course is possible. We encourage you to discuss your options with your trainer and with our Enrolment team who can give the best advice on career and training changes and how to apply for a new course.
How do I attend an information session?
GOTAFE is implementing new procedures to assist with delivering information sessions virtually. We will keep you updated via our website and social media channels.
What’s the best way to contact my trainer?
Please get in contact with the GOTAFE Call Centre on 1300 468 233 and they will provide you with the details of your trainer.
How do I get my student ID card from home?
Students can still come to campus to collect their ID cards; our receptions are open with very strict social distancing and hygiene measures in place. If you would rather receive your ID card remotely without coming to campus, get in touch with our call centre to arrange.
Questions specific to training delivery Semester 2
Some questions on Semester 2 training delivery
Will my class run for the same amount of time now its online? This will depend on your specific course. Your trainer will keep you informed of any changes.
Will my class run the same time of day and times now its online? This will depend on your specific course. Your trainer will keep you informed of any changes.
Will my trainer be the same? Yes, GOTAFE intends to have the same trainers to resume delivering your course work.
Do I freeze my payments now my class has been deferred? If your class has been deferred, payments will be frozen on your behalf.
Is there an option for workbooks or will it all be done online, will my assessment be done online? This will depend on your specific course. Your trainer will keep you informed of any changes.
Can I use campus facilities while my course is online? Yes, there will be access for students to the GOTAFE campus during term two, with strict social distancing rules in place. Chat to your trainer about your needs and how we can help.
What if I don’t have access to the internet or a computer? Please discuss any connectivity or technological issues you have regarding online study with your trainer. GOTAFE campus areas are available to students with strict social distancing protocols in place.
Do I still pay material fees if my course is delivered online? Please discuss your specific concerns regarding material fees with your trainer, as this differs for each course.
Will someone be communicating to my employer about the changes to my course? Yes. GOTAFE will be in constant communication with employers regarding any relevant changes to your course.
Some questions on courses that will be paused with Semester 2
How long will the deferred duration of my course be? How does this effect my qualification? This will depend on your specific course. All paused courses will recommence in semester two. We endeavour to ensure students can still complete their course within their original timeframe wherever possible.
Will I be given plenty of notice when my course restarts? How will I be notified? Yes. GOTAFE will ensure you are made aware if your course restarts. You will be notified by email to your student email address and SMS.
What does this mean for my Centrelink letter now I’m not able to prove I’m studying? In some cases, Centrelink payments may be affected. We recommend contacting Centrelink directly to discuss your options and speak to our Skills and Jobs team if you need any
Does this impact my Free TAFE? Yes, it may if you decide to change courses. We’re working with the Department of Education to ensure we have the most up to date information relating to Free TAFE. Please get in touch with our call centre to discuss your circumstances.
My course is pausing, is there something else I can study in the mean time? Yes, of course. We aim to have a range of short courses and other courses still running at GOTAFE during this time. Please get in contact with a Careers Advisor at one of our Skills and Jobs centres to discuss your options.
How do I go about cancelling my payment plans, what happens with my debt?
Students are encouraged to defer their studies and freeze their payment plans until studies recommence, rather than cancelling payment plans altogether. However, we do understand that in certain situations, a complete withdrawal may be required. If students must withdraw, they will need to have a discussion with their trainer, who will escalate it to the appropriate place.
How long can I freeze my payment plan?
Payment plans can remain frozen until 2021, or until the time you recommence your course.