So you found a course you want to study, got through all the paperwork of enrolment and attended your first classes, but now you are finding some challenges.
GOTAFE is able to assist you so you are able to get the most from your study. There are many reasons why students may need help with their studies. For example, students may:
- Be returning to study many years after they last studied
- Have difficulties with written text because English is their second language
- Have difficulties with reading and writing due to a learning disorder
- Not have prior experience in formal report or essay writing
- Be required to master learning in areas where they have previously had difficulty, for example, studying maths as part of their course.
What can the Learning Support Unit do for you?
Assistance is provided in a range of ways, after discussions with the Learning Support Coordinators and your teachers. We can help you with:
- Study skills and time management
- Effective reading and note-taking
- Computer skills for study
- Referencing and research skills
- Oral presentations
- Interpreting assignment questions
- Assignment writing
- English language skills
- Spelling and punctuation
- Exam preparation
All services provided by Learning Support are free and confidential.
NOTE: GOTAFE provides a range of support services for students undertaking government-subsidised courses. Support for students undertaking other courses, such as short courses or fee-for-service courses, will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Some students may be required to contribute to the costs of additional support.
How do we help you?
Assistance is provided in a range of ways, to meet your individual needs as well as the needs of the whole class. These may include:
- One-on one tutoring for individual support
- Group tutoring session
- Classroom based support
- Drop-In Centre
- Online (currently under construction)
How do I access this?
Learning Support is available to all enrolled GOTAFE students and is located at each campus as well as online. Referrals can be made through your course coordinator or by contacting the Learning Support Coordinator at your campus.
For more information contact the Learning Support Unit on 1300 GOTAFE (1300 468 233).
Last modified by Nerida hippisley 15-Feb-2012