GOTAFE's Baking unit works closely with the industry to provide training that suits the needs of employers and the industry associations. Training and/or assessment can be designed to focus specifically on the workplace. Participants can learn new skills or enhance the skills they currently retain. Training can occur on the job or in the training centre at our Shepparton Campus. This style of training can be used for product development, staff motivation and clarification of standard recipes and production systems.
Workshops and short courses are held regularly on topics such as:
- Healthy Breads
- Chocolate Delights
- Buttercreams and Chocolate Ganache
- Tortes and Gateaux
- Cake Decorating - Beginners
- Cake Decorating - Advanced
- French Macaroons
- Birthday Cakes
- Sour Dough Breads
Please talk to the Baking Department if you have specific requirements.
Benefits of training with GOTAFE:
- Greater selection of training and assessment modes including classroom based block releases and workplace flexible delivery
- Class sizes kept to a minimum to encourage a closer relationship between student and instructor
- Training plans are developed based on enterprise requirements
- Assessment tools are moderated with the baking industry
- Central location to most areas in Victoria and southern New South Wales
- Cheap living away from home expenses for the student
- Greater accessibility to GOTAFE staff
- Affordable accommodation
- Strong links with the Baking Industry Association of Victoria and Baking NET
- Networks developed and encouraged between students and employers
- Strong alliance with the Victorian Food Industry Centre based in Shepparton
- Skills recognition and Recognition of Prior Learning for those already working in the baking industry
Our staff have been leaders in Bakery Training for over 15 years and have over 60 years bakery experience combined! They are providers of bakery training to businesses such as the nationally renowned Beechworth Bakery, award winning Tatura Hot Bread, national bakery chain Bakers Delight, and major plant bakery Tip Top. GOTAFE was the first Victorian Regisistered Training Organisation to provide flexible based delivery in 1997 and has a great selection of training and assessment modes for students. Class sizes are kept small and training plans are developed based on business requirements and assessment tools are developed with the baking industry.
Our partnerships with the Baking Industry
We have strong links with Baking Industry Association of Victoria and Baking Net and networks are developed and encouraged between students and employers. We also have a strong alliance with the Victorian Food Industry Centre based in Shepparton.
We host the "Easter in the Food Bowl Baking Convention" in February each year which is open to all apprentices enrolled at GOTAFE. Qualified bakers and Apprentices compete over two days in four categories:
Winning bakers receive trophies and are nationally recognised through the Leading Edge Magazine. Apprentices are eligible to enter the BAKESKILLS National competition. Judging is undertaken by independent key industry experts to a national standard. The experience of this competition is of a great benefit to both students and employers alike.
Programs can lead to positions such as:
- retail baker - bread, cakes, pastry
- plant baker
Prospective students should discuss enrolment with the Course Coordinator. Please contact the Customer Service Centre on 1300 GOTAFE (1300 468 233) for more information.